Sunday, January 25, 2015

Ice Cream and . . .

Some time ago I went through a homemade ice cream phase. I became quite good at it (even if I do say so myself). I bought a few ice cream cookbooks. Cookbook buying is always a prerequisite to my going gung-ho on a culinary idea. I won't bore you with the book list. I'll just say my absolute favorite and go-to book is Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book. Yes, that Ben and Jerry.

Warning: CONTAINS RAW EGGS. This is an older book, Copyright 1987. Without going into all the controversy about eating raw eggs that developed and died down since then, just know that one of the three ice cream base recipes (the best one of all IMHO) calls for raw eggs. If you have an aversion or dietary objections to raw eggs, you should consider making one of the other two ice cream bases in the book. They are Philadelphia-style ice cream which requires no eggs.  Or use a recipe in another favorite book of mine, The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, in which all the recipes call for cooking the eggs.

I experimented with a lighter ("lite") recipe for strawberry ice cream based on Sweet Ice Cream Base #1 from the Ben and Jerry's book. I said I would share the recipe if the ice cream was any good. It's more than good.  I think it's delicious. So here is the recipe.

Lite Strawberry Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
STRAWBERRY PUREE

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced

1/3 cup sugar

2 tbs fresh lemon juice

Combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
You will be using just half of it in the ice cream.

Mash half the sliced strawberries and juice into a puree. Save the other sliced half and juice for a topping.

Mash half the sliced strawberries into a puree. Save the
other half in slices for a topping.


ICE CREAM

3 tbs Egg Beaters (or you can use one large egg)

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup half and half

1/2 cup milk


In medium bowl whisk Egg Beaters until light and fluffy.

In medium bowl whisk Egg Beaters until light and fluffy.
Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time and continue whisking until completely blended.
Pour in the half and half and the milk and whisk to blend completely.
Add the strawberry puree and stir.
Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.


Transfer mixture to ice cream maker.

When the ice cream reaches soft serve consistency, I transfer it to a freezer container,  cover and freeze for about an hour or until it reaches desired firmness. I like mine "scoopable" without having to use much muscle power.

I like mine "scoopable" without having to use much muscle power.

A scoop of ice cream on a slice of cake with a drizzle
of leftover strawberries. Yummy!

Eat up! And do it soon after you make it. Since this contains much less butterfat, it will be less creamy (more icy) over time. That's why I make only a quart at a time. After a day or two in the freezer you might want to let it soften, stir until creamy again and refreeze. However, it shouldn't last that long.

Enjoy!

Marilyn,
Kitchener to Kitchen



1 comment:

  1. Ooh strawberry ice cream lite!! I MUST MAKE THIS!!! Thanks for sharing/I guess I'm off to Amazon for Ben and Jerry's book. I already have The Perfect Scoop...

    ReplyDelete