Monday, March 2, 2015

Catching Up/Eating Up

It's almost time for another Blue Apron delivery and I realize I failed to post about the last one. Not only that, some other kitchen events were photographed and never made it any farther than Facebook.  Maybe a collection of pictures with a few words will suffice.

In January I revisited my obsession with Mason Jars:

Ball Brand Mason Jars

I got these little short, squat ones for making and storing individual desserts. They worked well:

Strawberry Shortcake and Tiramisu

I had some more wonderful meals thanks to Blue Apron:

There was Crispy Chicken Thighs with kumquat relish & freekeh salad,

Crispy Chicken Thigh

Center-Cut Pork Chops with beet, heirloom carrot & hazelnut salad and

Center-Cut Pork Chop

Pan-Roasted Salmon Ramen with spicy miso broth & wakame.

Pan Seared Salmon Ramen

All three were a snap to prepare and I can't decide which was my favorite. Each brought something new to the table. I enjoyed every bit.

I took some time to bake for my baby:



Peanut Butter Dog Bones! Maybe I'd better explain who "my baby" is. He is my little Bichon mix I rescued last March when he was "2- 4 years old." He acts like a two-year-old puppy; however, I will go with the birthdate the rescue organization gave him, 03/07/2010. I named him Snowman.

Snowman

One day at the super market, while searching through the frozen foods for peas and carrots, I discovered this Asian Style Rice with carrots, peas, edamame and onions. Along with some frozen shrimp from my freezer, and using sesame oil, it made a very good Asian style shrimp fried rice.





I was intrigued by a recipe for "spaghetti and sand" that I stumbled across on the Internet. I'm on a low(er) carb kick for a while so I brought out one of my favorite gadgets, the Paderno brand spiralizer, and made "zu-ghetti" to use zucchini to replace the pasta. I roasted some root veggies to go with it. "Spaghetti and Sand" is made with spaghetti, breadcrumbs, olive oil, minced garlic and red pepper flakes, then sprinkled with plenty of parmesan cheese. A little parsley sprinkled on top doesn't hurt.




Another snow/ice storm overnight leaves me housebound. I wonder what trouble I will get into in the kitchen today. I have some fresh strawberries marinating in sugar. Shortcake? Ice cream? Both? Maybe it would be better if I just knit and watch cooking shows on TV.

Marilyn
Kitchener to Kitchen




No comments:

Post a Comment